Grampa's stories #2
The Fourth of July is a big celebration, and it was for our family when I was a little boy. We used to get all dressed up for the local festivities and either ride on floats or drive with our costumes on our decorated bikes in the East Mill Creek Fourth of July parade. Once I was an Indian. Jeff and Kim were Jack and Jill on a cute little float. Fun times, especially the year that I was king…
Some of my earliest memories include entering the contest for king of the East Mill Creek Fourth of July parade. I was five years old at the time, and it seems it was held at the East Mill Creek Lions Club. I don’t really remember a whole lot about the contest, except that we were in an auditorium that seemed filled to its capacity. The judges watched the children interact as they were waiting before being called to the auditorium.
One by one, the contestants came to the front of the stage where a couple of questions were posed. The panel of judges asked me to tell my favorite television show. I answered “The Fugitive.” I have forgotten the other questions, but I guess that my answers were ok because I won.
They dressed me in a purple robe with a crown and gave me a trophy, which I kept for years. I probably still have it somewhere. A girl named Kimberly Ball was selected as queen. My friend, Roger West, and another girl, Karen Mendenhall, became the attendants. We all rode on the royal float at the head of the East Mill Creek Fourth of July parade, had numerous pictures taken, and received coverage in the local paper.
Never a dull moment…
Ta-ta!

Comments
Post a Comment